Best Shoes for Nurses 2018
Are you looking for the best shoes for nurses? Nursing is one career where having the right footwear is critical. Not only do you need the most comfortable nursing shoes for your foot type, they also need to withstand 12 hour shifts, blood & fluids and meet hospital uniform or OSHA standards. Finding the best nursing shoes can be a tall order. That’s why we put together this list of the most comfortable shoes for nurses that are also practical and can suit a variety of different nursing styles.
How did we put together our list of the best nursing shoes for women? We tried and tested many pairs of comfortable nursing shoes ourselves over a number of months. We polled our colleagues asking them what were the nursing shoes most comfortable in their opinion. We also looked at the top rated nursing shoes online. We’ve done an extensive amount of research to establish the best shoes for nurses and we hope you find our list useful.
This article covers the best women’s nursing shoes but if you’re a male nurse, then pop over and read our post on the best shoes for male nurses here.
Our Top Pick: Best Comfortable Shoes for Nurses
Don’t have time to read the whole post? Our pick the for the all round best shoes for nurses to wear are the Dansko Women’s Professional Mule. They are comfortable yet sturdy, non slip and wipe clean. It’s the most comfortable nursing shoe for a variety of feet thanks to the the roomy toe, arch support, padded instep and rocker bottom for shock absorption. You can stay on your feet all day or night in these shoes! Click here to check prices and read more reviews.
What's In This Guide
- Our Top Pick: Best Comfortable Shoes for Nurses
- What to Look for in Comfortable Nursing Shoes
- Tips for Where to Buy Nursing Shoes
- Best Shoes for Nurses 2018
- Best Nursing Shoes Reviews – Our Top 10 Picks!
- Dansko Women’s Professional Mule
- Alegria Women’s Debra Professional Slip Resistant Work Shoes
- Skechers Sport Women’s Premium-Premix Slip-On Sneaker
- New Balance Women’s WX608V4 Training Shoe
- Crocs Women’s Mercy Work Clog
- Crocs Women’s Neria Work Clog
- Skechers for Work Women’s Gozard Slip Resistant Walking Shoe
- Skechers Sport Women’s Loving Life Memory Foam Fashion Sneaker
- Nurse Mates Womens Libby (White)
- Reebok Women’s Work N Cushion Walking Shoe
- Questions or Comments on Finding Comfortable Shoes for Nurses
What to Look for in Comfortable Nursing Shoes
Here are some things to consider when looking for the best shoes for a nurse (or the best shoes for medical professionals for that matter):
- Comfortable – For nurses comfortable shoes are an absolute must! When you’re on your feet all day, comfort is critical to make it through your shift without swollen, aching legs. A good nursing shoe lets you stand all day, has a good inner sole and a shock abosrbing outer sole and roomy toe box. Part of the comfort factor is finding the best nursing work shoes for your foot shape too.
- Supportive – Nurses need supportive shoes. The right support in a shoe will definitely make it more comfortable in the long run. The best support shoes for nurses are a pair that will stay on your feet if you need to run, allow for comfortable standing on hard floors and correct issues like over pronation when walking. The right pair of shoes should keep you standing up straight with your spine and posture correctly aligned too. Critical to avoid an aching back at the end of a work day.
- Non-Slip – A non-slip sole is essential for nurses who work in wards or ERs or a general hospital environment. Wet floors, blood, urine or vomit. It’s all a slipping hazard for a nurse moving quickly on the job.
- Suits Your Foot Type – Your own personal foot type will play into finding comfy shoes for nurses. If you have a high arch, flat foot, wide foot or plantar fasciitis then you need to look for a shoe that mets this specific need. For each of these foot types we have made recommendations below to help you find the best comfortable shoes for nurses with specific foot types.
- Suits Your Job – Depending on the type of nursing role you are in, you might need a specific type of shoe. Are you standing all day? You’ll need something with a good sole to absorb the pressure. Running around a lot? You’ll need a sneaker. Do you need shoes that are easy to wipe clean? Pick something that is easy to clean each day.
- Meets Uniform Regulations – Do you need a white or black shoe to meet uniform requirements? Do you need to find an OSHA certified non-slip shoe? This all depends on how much guidance you’re given for your uniform. Some hospitals don’t allow staff to wear Crocs, some do. It depends on the job so be sure to check with your supervisor or hiring manager before purchasing.
Tips for Where to Buy Nursing Shoes
Us nurses are busy and often lacking in free time for shopping due to working long shifts at weird hours. For this reason we recommend you go online to find the best shoes to wear as a nurse.
When you buy nursing shoes online our number one tip is to buy two sizes or styles and have them both shipped to you to try on so you get a perfect fit. If you’re an Amazon Prime customer you’ll get free shipping and returns which makes it easy to get two pair and keep the one that fits best. Clever, right?
Give your shoes a good walk around the house, or even on a treadmill at home if you have one, so you can really make sure you are choosing the comfiest nursing shoes for your feet. Make sure you try them on with the socks or compression stockings you wear while you work.
Best Shoes for Nurses 2018
These are the top nursing shoes we have found in our months of extensive research and testing. We have picked out the best rated nursing shoes for each type of shoe style or foot need. Go through our comparison chart of the top 10 nursing shoes below and then scroll further down to read in-depth reviews on each of the best footwear for nurses we have selected.
|Best Shoes for Nurses 2017||Shoe Style||Best for||Key Features||Price|
Dansko Women's Professional Mule
|Mule||Best shoes for nurses (overall)||Great shock absorption|
Good arch support
Designed for comfort with roomy box toe and rocker bottom
Alegria Women's Debra Professional Slip Resistant Work Shoes
|Loafer||Best shoes for nurses (runner up)||Great shock absorption|
Good arch support and memory foam inner sole
Designed for comfort with roomy box toe and rocker bottom
Skechers Sport Women's Premium-Premix Slip-On Sneaker
|Pull on sneaker||Best sneakers for nurses||Very good arch support|
Cushioned heel, tongue & collar
Pull-on bungee laces
Lightweight & breathable
New Balance Women's WX608V4 Training Shoe
|Pull on sneaker||Best tennis shoes for nurses|
Best shoes for nurses with high arches
|Very supportive arches|
Great shock absorption and stability
Wide box toe for comfort
Narrow, regular and wide widths available
Crocs Women's Mercy Work Clog
|Clog||Best clogs for nurses||Lightweight|
Roomy box toe
Easy to clean
Crocs Women's Neria Work Clog
|Clog||Best shoes for nurses on feet all day||Lightweight|
Easy to clean
Good arch support
Skechers for Work Women's Gozard Slip Resistant Walking Shoe
|Pull on sneaker||Best nursing shoes for wide feet||Slip resistant and electrical hazard safe|
Lightweight & breathable
Memory foam inner sole for comfort
Wide fit and large sizes available
Skechers Sport Women's Loving Life Memory Foam Fashion Sneaker
|Pull on sneaker||Best shoes for nurses with plantar fasciitis||Lightweight & breathable|
Flexi groove outer sole for comfort
Memory foam inner sole
Pull on / bungee laces
Nurse Mates Womens Libby (White)
|Loafer||Best white nursing shoes||Lightweight|
Easy to clean
Pillow top insoles and padded collar for comfort
Reebok Women's Work N Cushion Walking Shoe
|Pull on sneaker||Best nursing shoes for flat feet||Beveled heel for flexible support|
Padded collar and protective toe bumper for comfort
Best Nursing Shoes Reviews – Our Top 10 Picks!
Here are our complete reviews on the 10 best nursing shoes 2018. In our nursing shoes reviews we have tried to pick the top one or two shoes that meets a specific need that nurses have when it comes to their footwear. Whether it’s a job-based need like standing all day or needing a specific colored shoe for uniform requirements or whether it’s a foot-based need like having wide feet or plantar fasciitis. Whatever you require, you’ll find at least one or two shoes on our list that work best for you.
Our top pick for the best shoes for nurses overall
Dansko professional mule consistently came out on top in our quest to find the best nursing shoes. Our fellow nurses absolutely love them and we agree! If you’re looking for the most comfortable non slip shoes that will leave your back and legs feeling pain-free after a 12 hour shift, this is the best nursing shoe for you!
The Dansko Professional Mule are the most comfortable work shoes for nurses. Here’s what we love about these shoes:
- Slip-on leather mule style works great for nurses and can be easily wiped clean
- Roomy toe box make these shoes very comfortable for long periods of wear
- Anti-fatigue rocker bottom which is comparable to any athletic shoes in terms of shock absorption
- Heel measures approximately 1.5″ and front platform measures approximately 0.75″
- Slip resistant rubber outsole
- Exceptional arch support for all-day comfort and support
- Insole and orthotics can be used in these shoes
While there are a couple of different styles by this brand, we have picked the Professional Mule as the best Dansko shoes for nurses. If you want to try a slightly different style then the Dansko Women’s Pro XP Clog would also work for nurses. (Despite the name being clog it is still a backed shoe but the back is slightly lower than the mule style.)
They come in a HUGE range or prints and colors so you can pick a pair shoes that suit your personality or your scrubs. To see the range of colors & prints in a drop down menu, click here.
So many of our colleagues recommend these as the best nursing shoes for back pain reduction and we have to agree. They really do work for most foot types.
A couple tips on wearing Danskos:
- They may seem large but the length is NOT supposed to be snug. Your foot is meant to slide in and the back should not touch your heel, almost as if you are wearing a clog. Your heel should be able to move up & down as you walk. You should be able to leave about one finger width of space between your heel and the back of the shoe.
- They don’t come in a wide fit but many women with wide feet find them roomy enough. If you do have a very wide foot then you could get the more specialised Dansko Women’s Wide Pro XP. If you have a very wide foot, I would recommend ordering both and trying out which one works best for you.
- If you have flat feet, skip the Danskos. Scroll down to the end of this guide to find the best nursing shoe for flat feet.
Our runner up pick for the best nursing shoes
If for some reason you’re not a fan of the Dansko shoes above, then these Alegria Work Shoes would be our next choice for the top shoes for nurses. On the whole, they don’t look as “boxy” as the Danskos but still offer lots of the same benefits.
Here’s what we love about them:
- Stain proof leather upper available in lots of fun prints & colors
- Roomy toe box provides ample room to move your toes throughout the day
- Loafer style with elastic goring makes it easy to kick these shoes on and off
- Super comfortable memory foam footbed is removable to accommodate custom orthotics
- Slip resistant rocker outsole with a flat heel that offers stability and shock absorption
The Alegria comes in regular width or wide so its suitable for nurses with wider feet. They don’t have as thick a sole or heel as the Dansko shoes so if you’re already tall and don’t want the added height, or if you have issues turning your ankle, then these Alegria Work Shoes are a great choice for you.
We think the Debra’s are the best Alegria shoes for nursing because of the practical yet stylish loafer feel but there are also a couple of other styles of comfortable medical shoes available by Alegria. The Paloma is a really cute Mary Jane style shoe for nurses. They also make the Kayla which is a clog.
Our pick for best sneakers for nurses
If you’re looking for the best nursing sneakers then these Sketchers are a great choice. Sneakers are an excellent shoe for nurses on the go, working in a fast paced environment like an ER or ED. When looking for comfortable sneakers for nurses you definitely want to skip a shoe with laces and opt for a pull on sneaker with bungee laces like this shoe by Sketchers.
Here’s why we think it’s the best sneakers for nurses 2018:
This leather sneaker with perforated side panels for breathability and a non-slip rubber sole. The supportive air cushion in heel and cushioned tongue, collar & footbed gives all day comfort for nurses on their feet for long periods. The EVA midsole means this sneaker has great shock absorption. Bungee laces make this shoe easy to slip on and off but also provide support and stability across the top of the foot.
The Sketchers Sport Premium is available in both regular and wide fit and up to size 11 and comes in full white or white with a navy detail. These are the best Skechers for nurses.
Our pick for best tennis shoes for nurses
Our pick for best shoes for nurses with high arches
These New Balance sneakers are the best nursing tennis shoes. If you want something that looks & feels sporty but is great for work then you’ll find this pair the most comfortable tennis shoes for nurses.
What makes them the best support tennis shoes for nurses? They have a supportive internal shank and shock-absorbing Abzorb technology with a IMEVA midsole. If you have pronation problems then this shoe will keep your foot very stable. The wide toe box means they’re comfortable for long days. All this support means they are also a great shoe for sufferers of plantar fasciitis (although I have another choice for that below also so scroll down if that’s you.)
These New Balance shoes are also our pick for best nursing shoes for high arches as they have super arch support and can accommodate any orthotics you wear. They are definitely one of the most comfortable sneakers for nurses.
These shoes fit such a range of foot styles it’s easy to see why they are our pick for best tennis shoes for nurses 2018. They come in three different widths so are great for narrow, regular or wide feet. They also run up to a size 13 for ladies with large feet.
Our pick for the best clogs for nurses
These Crocs Mercy Work Clogs are our pick for best nursing clogs. Many of our colleagues find nurses clogs comfortable options for being on your feet all day. Clogs are great because they have a roomy toe box and are easy to slip on & off.
These particular Crocs are the most comfortable clogs for nurses. They have been designed with medical professionals in mind to be the best nurse clogs on the market.
They’re lightweight and have supportive arches. They have a slip-resistant tread so are safe in hospital environments. The heel strap keeps the shoe in place as your move about on your shift.
These comfortable nursing clogs have tiny nubs along the foot bed which provide a massage-like feel so they’re great if you choose not to wear socks with them. Not only are these Crocs comfy but they’re also easy to clean and odor-resistant.
If you’re looking for comfort clogs nursing shoes then these are a great pick but also do see the next shoe on our list and some tips for wearing Crocs as nursing shoes.
Our pick for best shoes for nurses on feet all day
In addition to our Dansko’s above which we consider the top rated shoes for nurses, you’ll also find these Crocs Neria Work Clogs a very comfortable option if you struggle with foot, leg or back pain through a long day of work. They are one of the most comfortable nursing clogs available.
A lightweight clog like this is one of the best shoes for nurses standing all day because they weigh almost and your feet aren’t overly constrained. The molded Croslite material forms to your foot for a great fit and the clog design has great arch support. You can also slip them off easily when you do get a chance to sit down and rest for a minute. We think this makes them one of the best shoes for 12 hour shifts.
They are easy to clean at the end of a long work day and odor resistant so you can wear them on back to back work days. They also have excellent slip resistance. These clogs come in white, black or brown and are very affordably priced.
Do be aware with Crocs, you do need a couple of days to break them in to the shape of your feet. The first one or two wears can result in blisters on the backs of your heels or across the top of your foot. Trust me when I say, stick with these shoes as this only happens when you first wear them. Once the Crocs form to the shape of your foot they are very comfy work shoes for nurses.
Our pick for the best nursing shoes for wide feet
If you have wide feet you could go for a clog like the two I’ve mentioned above or a tennis sneaker like the New Balance one above. If you would prefer a pull on sneaker without laces then this shoe is another one of the best shoes to wear for nurses with wide feet.
The relaxed fit and memory foam inner sole of these Sketchers makes them really comfortable to wear for long days on the hospital floor. They are slip resistant and meet OSHA standards for electrical hazards too. They have leather sides but a breathable mesh upper.
While they only come in black, they are available up to a women’s size 11 in both regular and wide fit so are perfect for women with larger feet.
Our pick for the best shoes for nurses with plantar fasciitis
Plantar fasciitis is very painful. I have it myself so I know just how important it is to find the best nursing shoes for plantar fasciitis sufferers. Worn out shoes can aggravate plantar fasciitis so replacing your old pair with a new pair of comfy nursing shoes can really help.
I think these are the best shoes for plantar fasciitis for nurses. The memory foam makes standing all day on hard floors a lot more tolerable. My feet feel supported all day. They’re also much more lightweight than a pair of Danskos so help reduce the pain I get. These are the best nurse sneakers I’ve found for my feet.
These lightweight shoes have memory foam insoles and a flexi groove outer sole. They slip on but have bungee laces for support and stability. The top part of the shoe is a breathable mesh so not great for wet environments but you can throw these shoes in the washing machine at home for a good clean. An added bonus is that they come in a couple of different color combinations – black with rainbow laces & edges, charcoal with blue laces & edges and black with black laces & edges. They are one of the best sneakers for nurses to wear.
These are also one of the best nursing shoes for standing all day. These Sketchers are not only great for plantar fasciitis but also any other conditions that result in foot pain. These are the best nursing shoes for heel pain of any kind or Achilles Tendinitis. They’re also the best shoes for back pain in nurses caused by standing for long period. Trust me, they will really help you on a long shift.
Our pick for best white nursing shoes
While there are lots of choices for comfortable white nursing shoes on our list, if you want traditional but comfortable white leather nursing shoes then this pair by Nurse Mates is a great choice.
We think these are the best white shoes for nurses if you’re after a clean look with an easy slip on style in full leather. The padded instep collar adds comfort and the leather lining makes them breathable. The outer sole is lightweight and slip resistant.
Removable pillowtop insoles and the option of regular or wide fit makes these white comfortable nursing shoes suitable for a range of foot types. If you’re looking for where to buy white nursing shoes then look no further as this is a perfect pair. They do also come in black and a few other fun colors too.
Our pick for best nursing shoes for flat feet
If you have flat feet, do not choose the Dansko shoes I have mentioned above. A colleague of mine expressed that her flat feet make wearing the Dansko shoes very uncomfortable.
If you’ve got flat feet, you need a shoe with a stiff outer sole and support across the middle of the foot. The best shoes for nurses with flat feet are probably a sneaker that allows you to add an insole into the shoe.
Our pick for the best shoes for flat feet nurses is the Reebok Women’s Work N Cushion Walking Shoe. The beveled heel helps generate forward moment and provides flexible support for the work environment and will keep your feet comfortable throughout the day. Available in black or white to fit your uniform needs. It has a slip resistant sole and is one of the best work shoes for nurses in general.
It comes in regular or wide fit so it is a good choice for a comfortable nursing shoes for flat feet that are also wider.
Questions or Comments on Finding Comfortable Shoes for Nurses
We hope our list has been helpful for you and you’ve managed to find the right pair of shoes for you.
We think we have covered all the best shoes to wear for nurses with our list of the most popular nursing shoes for each foot type or job type.
Whether you’re in college and looking for the best shoes for medical students doing practicals, of you’re starting out your career and putting together your first uniform or you’re a long time nurse looking for some added comfort. Our list should help everyone find the best shoes nurses need within their budget.
The shoes on this list are not just for nurses. All the options listed can work as the best shoes for healthcare professionals. As with nurses, the best shoes for healthcare workers are ones that fit your foot type and job needs.
If you’ve got any questions about finding the best rated shoes for nurses, then do let us know. We would be happy to help you find the right shoe for you!
Pin this post for later or share with a fellow nurse!